Thursday, June 21, 2007

Secret to a Happy Marriage according to John Griffin


I have another confession to make... I think I've become a reality tv junkie. And I don't mean Survivor or Bachelor type of reality series... I seem to be more drawn to shows that have somewhat of a storyline to follow (I think the addiction started with that darn Newlyweds stint). Bravo has become the biggest culprit in hogging what little I have left for "free time" -- Top Chef, Work Out and Kathy Griffin - My life on the D List (I cannot wait until they bring Project Runway back!!!!).

Mike doesn't understand what I see in a bunch of people try to reinvent ways to cook chicken liver, or a lesbian fitness guru with acceptance issues, or a comedian trying to survive through the slumps of Hollywood. To me, following these shows is almost like the rush of following the blogs that I read... it's the unadulterated truth of human emotions that draws me in. It's like getting an insight to what other people feel without being intrusive, learning from their successes and failures, and getting that feeling of joy when something works out and sadness when something doesn't.

Anyway, last week's episode of Kathy was particularly memorable... and I'd been pondering about this since watching it over the weekend. The episode, like any other episode, followed Kathy around with her shenanigans, but then they also showed segments of her dad's health deteriorating and then eventually leading his death. Which I have to give kudos to the producers -- they unfolded his death dramatically but in a non-cheesy way, even ending it with a rather touching montage.

The reason I'm writing about this is because there was a part when Kathy was talking about her last conversations with her dad... where she near-tearfully reminisced about asking him for his secret. "What's the secret to your happy marriage?" she asked.

And he answered wholeheartedly, as a 90-year old man who have been married to the same woman all his life would, "The guy just has to think that the gal is the best gal in the world. And the gal has to think that the guy is the best guy in the world."

Then Kathy said what I was thinking at that very moment..... THAT'S IT? That's the secret? "That's it," he said without a crack in his voice. And that stuck with me.

Why do they always make is sound so easy anyway?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails