Monday, June 11, 2007

DNA Portrait

Last year for Father's day, I searched high and low for an infant Cleveland Cavaliers jersey to put on Ethan (which at the time, the only size I could find was 12 months so he looked like he was drowning in it at 5 months -- but still looked UBER cute), propped him on a boppy pillow and framed the photo for him to show off at work. Albeit a FABULOUS idea --- it probably would've made more sense this year since the Cavs made it to the playoffs. Nonetheless, 1 week away and I'm still dry of ideas. I was going to get tickets to a Linkin Park concert, but as my luck would have it, turns out he has training that weekend. He's already got the ipod and the fancy phone and the manly tools... and I'm normally a practical gift-giver anyway, but I would really like to refrain from getting him socks for Father's day, if I could.

And then I ran into this really unique, almost freaky, idea that I had to share.

The company, DNA 11, sends you a "kit" which includes a swab that you take and swipe in your baby's mouth and preserve. Then you send it back to their lab (which by the way is in Canada) and in an almost eerie CSI-process, the DNA is extracted from the sample and put into some kind of gel where they then take a digital photo of it. The file's enhanced microscopic proportions and for only $390, you can have an 18x24 canvas of your child's DNA hanging on your wall - TADA! Talk about personalized art work....


I know this might seem silly to point out, but this is a sample on their site, and I'm wondering if it really is some real kid's DNA.


If I had $390 just laying around, I just might jump on this wagon. But I don't, so it looks like it's gonna be a Homer Simpson tie this year... :)

Seriously.... any ideas.... I'm all ears!

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Hmmm....and just how would you know FOR SURE that you are really getting your kid's DNA? Those Canadians might be on to a racket there! I've got ZERO ideas for father's day. We usually don't go gifts but I always feel bad when I'm empty handed.

Janice said...

I agree. And for $390.00?1?! Of course, I am one cheap person. John's getting a finger painted mat with a picture of him and the kids in it. I am all out of ideas. But then again, I know he would be happy with a home cooked meal on Father's Day since I don't really cook.

TwinMommyLawchick said...

Ok, the DNA thing is just weird.

I am also out of ideas. I have a seminar Thursday and Friday by the mall and get like an hour and a half for lunch each day so I'm gonna scour. I'm thinking a decent but not expensive watch since my DH is murder on watches. But that's not original, so I'm not worth much here!

Oh, does your hubbo golf? Get him a golf lesson! That's gonna be my go to if I can't find a decently priced watch.

TwinMommyLawchick said...

Ok, I'm an idiot since I just looked like 3 inches down on your blog about golfing. Geez. Stupid comment. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails