Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Bad Mommy

Let's face it, no one's perfect... not even my mom and I love her to death. We all have faults, yes, but how ghastly are your failings?

I found a website called True Mom Confessions where mothers are encouraged to anonymously confess their worst inner thoughts and deeds. Visitors can click a "me too" button if they share the sentiment, a palpable socio-emotional tactic (if you ask me) to let people feel they're not alone -- therefore justifying whatever it is that they feel bad about. For example, someone submitted "I wish I had a child that ran on batteries so I could turn him off", and 20 people agreed. Another poster said "I am 30 and still don't know, other than my children, what I want in this life", and an unsurprising 25 hit the "me too" button -- I actually expected more. At 7:02 this morning, someone posted that today is the day she's coming out to her family and friends about being a lesbian. "I'm finally being true to me and dammit, it feels good." she added. 2 agreed.

My confession's not as momentous, but here it is: I am indulgent. If it were up to me, Ethan can stay up as late as he wants to. Mike has to often tear him off my arms for bedtime, and even then, I still try to buy an extra 10-15 minutes of cuddly time. Since Mike hasn't been home, Ethan's been staying up past 8:30 to watch Law and Order reruns with me and sleeping in our bed. I let him eat candy... not a lot, but I'm the only mom I know who keeps M&M's in the emergency snack bag instead of something healthy like carrot sticks. Actually, I pretty much let him eat anything. Also, I may (or may not) be letting him watch too much TV. In my defense, sometimes he gets in one of these moods where the only thing that would calm him down is a run through (or two) of the "Wiggly Groove".


I just think there's far better things to worry about than scolding a toddler for re-arranging the jars in the refrigerator.

Then again, that's just me.

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

However...I am the exact opposite. I'm a meany. Not once has Sophia ever stayed up past 8:00. This means that since the day she was born we have NEVER been away from our house past 7:30! Now that's just INSANE!! And I'll admitt that for some reason, I hate giving Sophie a bath more than anything.

I think all mommies have their "bad" moments. But we all love our children more than anything and doesn't admitting the "bad mommy" things make us better mommies?

Wendy said...

Ahh... I just live life and go with the flow. If my kids skip a nap, or go to bed late, because I need extra snuggle time, or I'm out running errands, so what? IF they eat candy or 5 bags of fruit snacks, oh well. Not to say I put them to bed every night at 11 or feed them sugar all day long. I try to do what I can to keep them healthy and happy. But, these minute things are not going to kill 'em. I am more about enjoying the moment, as long as it doesn't put them in danger. Ce la vie!!

Janice said...

I think I am the opposite, too! Mean Mommy over here. I get a little antsy if the kids don't get their naps - and as a result, the kids also get antsy and makes for a rough night. I have to have a routine with them otherwise things go awry - maybe that's why my kids have a hard time getting used to new situations. However, I do let them watch way too much tv. Gives me time to take a shower among other things.

I have been to that site a couple of times a while back. I'll have to check it out again. :)

Jayne said...

I don't think that allowing your child sweets makes you a bad Mum. I think to much pressure is put on trying to be perfect when in fact the more important things in life are things far removed from sweets and TV issues.

It's definitely not just you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails