Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Cast is Off!


Day my butt fell on the slopes



6 Weeks after



Before they took the pin out


6 weeks after the gracious, snowboarding mishap, I am finally free from the cast. Doc says the x-rays “look good” and proceeded to tell me he’s going to now pull the pin that’s been sticking out of my hand and holding my shattered bones together the past month and a half. ‘Holy shit’, I thought to myself (although my face probably showed exactly just that). “Don’t worry, I’ll give you something to numb it”, he said. “It should slide right out.”

Bullshit.

Don’t let anyone tell you any different… that shit hurt. Pardon my French, but I think I’m still a little pissed. And he was COMPLETELY wrong about it “just sliding out”. He sprayed some stuff on my hand which I assumed was the fake anesthesia and proceeded to yank on the ball while I squirmed on the examination bed, watching in horror. I think I was still waiting for the numbness to kick in, when the ball unexpectedly pops out…. leaving the pin still stuck in my hand. After deflecting the moment of ooops splashed across my doctor’s face, he calmly asks the tech if they had any pliers. I may have been hallucinating at that point, as I pictured Handy Manny and his pliers yanking that foreign object out of my flesh while singing in spanish. Weird, I know.

Finally, after much pulling, the thing comes out and they give me gauze and tell me to put pressure before I lose too much blood. Ok, I’m kidding. It didn’t bleed that bad.

Doc said I should have full use of my hand in a few months……… A few months really? I was thinking a week? Maybe two? He sent me off with no PT, only advice to get try to get back on my old routines, squeeze a ball every once in a while and come back in a month.

My wrist is really stiff and I have zero mobility on the broken finger. I can wiggle my other fingers ok and even bend them to make half a fist, but that’s about it.

This is going to be the longest summer ever……..

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails