Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Reaffirmation

It's funny how we can get so busy doing what we do every single day that we don't even realize how fast our lives are ticking away.

As of this week, my brother started his Senior year in high school.

*sigh*

Suddenly, all those jokes of being "old" turned into reaffirmation. I guess I am... getting a little old.

High school was a blur. For some, it was the highlight of their life. For me, it was a period of transition. I started my sophomore year as a quiet, 13-year old immigrant from the Philippines. I spoke perfect English, I was able to make friends quite easily, and looking back on it... the rest of my high school days were pretty pleasant. I wasn't the most popular kid in the class, but I wasn't on the bottom rung of the social status ladder. It was a time when I often spent most of my weekend nights positive that all of the other kids in school were doing something cool like going out to the movies, dances or parties instead of doing what I seemed to do way too often: doing homework, chatting up on dial up or recording the latest radio hits on my snazzy Sony cassette player. I joined clubs, played a little bit of sports, sang in the Chorus, wrote for the school paper, forged a lot of 'signatures' to get out of class, spent countless hours hanging out with friends at the mall [just because there was nowhere else to go]. And those were all good for what they were at the time, but now seems so.... well, so long ago.

Sometimes, when I reminisce, I can't make up my mind whether to be happy that I have since then done come quite far in life OR whether to be sad to realize that gone are those times of being carefree and reckless.

*another sigh*


Anyway, I was glad he let me take a crack at his Senior portraits... sure beats the alternative of the infamous studio sessions where they make you crack a rib and hold your smile for 10 minutes while they fix the styrofoam prop.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails