Thursday, August 28, 2008

Firefighters, Virgins and Watermelons

So after slacking off for most of the summer, I figured it was about time to "really" start looking for a job. After 2 misleading interviews and unappealing callbacks, I think I may be on to something. This afternoon, I finished "Phase 3" of a nerve-wrecking interview process to work as a Public Information Officer for a local fire district.

Phase 1: Turn in application.
Phase 2: Beat out 85 other applicants through the application screening, come back for a written test and an unexpected on-camera audition.
Phase 3. Beat out 85 other applicants through the application screening, ace the written test and on-camera audition, and come back for a panel interview.
Phase 4. Beat out 85 other applicants through the application screening, ace the written test and on-camera audition, WOW the panel "judges" beyond belief, and come back for a one-on-one interview with "the chief".

I won't hear back until next week if I get to advance to Phase 4... but if this was American Idol and advancing to the next round relied on America (ie my mom) voting via text messages, I'm sure to be a shoo-in. My mom said she'd hire me over any of my other competition, but I think that's what moms are always supposed to say. Isn't it?


Anyway, to get my mind off mommy-world for a few hours, I conned my brother to babysit and decided to take Sissy to her first improv comedy show tonight. I somehow ran into a "get on a list" post on Craigslist, and was irate to find out that they apparently put too many people on the list (big surprise there) so the place sold out before we even got to the front of the line. Luckily, some lady who couldn't get her whole party in let us use her ticket so we got to go in anyway. Most of the comedians were pretty hilarious... the others needed to spend a little more time testing their acts in front of their barbie dolls. It was called "The Dirty Show"... so all the "fucks" and "pussies" and "black people" jokes ran rampant -- way to break my sister in! I'm sure my perverted husband would've loved it (sorry babe). The baileys, margaritas and calamari were way overpriced, but that's something you would expect at a joint like that.

Overall, we had a good time.

And all was well and swell... very rarely do I get a dose of adult entertainment. It's nice to do something that doesn't involve anything Disney or Chuck E Cheese-ish every once in a while. [That's why I'm UBER excited that I'm flying to DC next week to spend some quality time with my hubby for our anniversary week!!!!]

But then I came home and I was almost impressed my 2 1/2 year old waited up for me because he can't sleep without mommy's kisses and bedtime story. And I entered my room filled with a distinct, pungent scent of watermelons... where he unloaded half a can of "Blue Melon Splash" suncreen like man never invented Febreze.

And I realize I can't be mad, because he looked so darn cute in his basketball pajamas repeatedly saying "Read to me mommy, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease! Read to me!"

Then I was happy to be back in mommy-world.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails