Monday, February 22, 2010

Our First Project! Knock-off Pottery Barn Montgomery Upholstered Headboard

So one night, I stumbled into Ana's awesome blog Knock-off Wood, and I was immediately inspired to be a carpenter. No, really.......

No one wanted to believe me. I've always been obsessed with furniture. Ask Mike. I almost had a 3 bedroom house furnished before we even got the house!

The plans sat in my purse for a few days before I finally convinced Mike to go to Home Depot, where he decides, by the way, that this is actually a pretty brilliant idea because he can coerce me to buy power tools. I should've bought the pink nail gun so he can't claim it's his.

We thought we'd start with something easy, so we decided to build Sissy a headboard for her birthday.


Inspiration: Pottery Barn Montgomery Upholstered Headboard - $599 new


Using plans from Knock-off Wood - $100


It took us about 1.5 hours to actually put it together, and maybe another hour to put 2 coats of paint on. The hardest part was setting the fabric-covered panel on because the fabric kept puckering on the sides, but eventually we got it on. It's not perfect, but we're pretty damn proud of ourselves. Overall, the process was a lot easier than we anticipated... so we're debating on what to tackle on next as we speak.


The plans for the Montgomery Headboard (inspired by Pottery Barn) is here.


PS. I think Sissy needs more pillows.... lol

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOVE LOVE my b-day present !! I just wished I had a room that would compliment my awesome headboard ! and makes me want to paint everything black now !! thanks sissy and mike !

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails