Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Verdict is No

My secret dream of becoming a professional blogger got crushed yesterday after receiving a "rejection" email from the The Gazz's editor-in-chief. I wasn't expecting much, I wasn't even after the money (I did a little googling and found out there are folks out there who actually make a decent amount of money doing... well, exactly this). If anything, I was exceedingly excited about being able to add creative writing in my resume especially from a reputable publication.

I just love to write. Always have. Believe it or not, back in my pre-teen years I actually completed a mini-series of books (very similar to the "Sweet Valley High" series by Francine Pascal)... of course, the storylines were based on me and my high school friends. They were all hand-written in spiral notebooks and gifted to people who thought they were portrayed best in a particular book. I now regret not keeping copies for myself, but oh well. I've also gotten several poems and short stories published in La Verne magazine (my old college).... but still... blogging about parenting (although a rookie) was something I thought I would be really good at.

In retrospect, I've never gotten a rejection letter before, but if I did, this would probably be the nicest one I'll ever get.


Dear Anna,

Thanks for getting back in touch. Your blog is often touching and well written, but I really don't think it's right for gazz at the moment. We already have a blog often written from a parent's viewpoint -- Karen Fuller's -- and that is hosted on gazz only because we do not yet have the ability to put non-arts blogs elsewhere on our site.

As for the food blog writing, with you leaving town in less than a year, I would rather not start up a local food blogger writer who was then going tobe gone out of town some months ahead.

But it seems clear you are well-motiviated to write. So once you get back home to California I would make these same blog-pitches to all your local media outlets.

Good luck to you and your family.

Douglas



To be a good sport, I emailed him back with this:


Dear Doug,

Thank you for the consideration and the recommendation. For what it's worth, I will still continue to be an avid reader of your blogs ;)

Keep up the great work!

Anna



Maybe next time.

7 comments:

Wendy said...

And I shall continue reading your blog, even if Gazz isn't publishing you!! I much enjoy your writing, and thank you so much for sharing like you do!!

Kimberly said...

Bummer!! I was all excited for you! Well they don't know what they are missing and who in the heck is Karen Fuller anyway? I've never heard of her...must be a dud!

Anne said...

Thanks for keeping up with my insanity!!! :)

Shana-Lynn said...

Anne...Gazz is totally missing out! You write beautifully and I really enjoy your blog as well.

Hey, check out my blog today if you have time! Something is on it for you;-)

TwinMommyLawchick said...

Um, after reading some of what Karen Fuller writes, let's say she doesn't represent most of us with her ideas. I'll leave it at that.

The Gazz is missing out!

Janice said...

I, too read some of Karin Fuller's posts and I would have to say she's not up to par with your writing - and hardly has any pictures to boot. I think you have such a great blog that is complete with beautiful writing as well as amazing photos!!!

I sure hope you keep up blogging once you move to California!

Jaidean said...

Bummer! You would have been great at that! I would definitely try when you get to CA! Good luck!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails