Monday, July 09, 2007

Vacation Hangover



The alarm went off on cue at 6:30 this morning signifying the inevitable duty of going back to work and the sad, sad reality that our summer vacation is over. All I kept thinking was... it's only 3:30..... but Mike insisted I should quickly get back to eastern standard time (I surmise HR wouldn't like it if I just showed up 3 hours late). Stupid time changes. I've travelled a lot and have learned that it physically takes me at least 3 days to adjust to a time change. Unfortunately, today was no exception. Even Ethan was struggling this morning, he was knocked out by the time we got to daycare and it took me a good while to wake him up for the breakfast table. I asked for them to let him sleep a little longer at naptime in case he needed to catch up... which would ultimately be to their benefit anyway because he gets really cranky when he's tired.

Eventually, I got to work, sat down, and started daydreaming about the next distant vacation. I did everything I was supposed to do to prevent this: I finished all time-sensitive projects before I left, cleaned off my desk, trained a back-up so to minimize things from piling up while I was gone, made a To Do List so I know exactly what needs to be done when I get back...... and still..... I'm in a slump. Did you know that it takes the average employee a day and half to resume normal productivity at work after a break? I spent the whole morning sweeping through my emails and I haven't even gotten to voicemail messages yet. This morning I immediately got slapped with "can this be done today?" which I found especially annoying since it's not like I have a choice to say no.

Not to mention seeing my family and being in California (even for just a couple of days) has made me realize how much I really miss home. The ironic thing is we're so close to moving back (less than a year, but who's counting?) that my home-sick blues have turned into transition anxiety. So instead of getting excited about moving back, I've gotten so stressed out about exactly that --- what about jobs? what about a place to live? what about pre-school? --- That's enough to bum anyone out.



Is it time to go home yet?

4 comments:

Shana-Lynn said...

I hate vacation hangovers. Hope today is a better day for you. Sounds as though you had a really nice visit with your family. It is always so hard to leave them isn't it? Well, next year at this time you should be back in CA! So jealous.

Kristen said...

Hi Anne,

I've never come over to check out your blog, so I decided to come today. I totally understand about going back to work after a vacation. It's the worst!

I was reading back through your posts, and saw that my husband commented on the man-bonnet thing. I hope it didn't freak you out that a man you don't know commented on your blog. It's just my loveable husband who likes to read blogs. Weird, I know. But the bonnet thing was unbelievable!

Wendy said...

I too am a hater of vaction ahngovers!! They are TOUGH!! I am moving in a year, and beyond excited. I love where we are, but I am READy to move. I am counting down...and very excited. I love new adventures!!

Anne said...

hard to believe but you're absolutely right! I'm getting really nervous about the whole thing! i love new adventures too but for some reason, this one's giving me the jitters! lol. any advice wendy?

welcome to my crazy life kristen... i don't mind at all about your hubby reading. that bonnet thing cracked me up so much i just had to share!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails