Monday, February 09, 2009

Happy Birthday Sissy!


My sister is 5 years my junior. Growing up, we didn’t really have a lot in common (although that didn’t stop my mom from dressing us alike until I was about 12 – maybe she always wished she had twins?) In fact, I hated her bald-headed guts when she was born for taking all the attention that were all mine for 5 good years. All of a sudden, it wasn’t a one-man show anymore. Not to mention I was suddenly responsible for watching her, and feeding her, and making sure she knew how to play with MY toys.

I remember fighting a lot with her… once, my mom actually gave each of us a knife and told us if we hated each other so much, we should kill each other. A bit much, huh? Probably, but I’m pretty sure we made up almost immediately after that. Sure, I didn’t like her… but I wasn’t about to stab her to death.

But through the years, she grew on me.

We’ve been through a lot together. We spent a few years growing up in the Philippines without our parents… which is tough for a 3 and an 8 year old to go through. But we had each other, and back then, that was all that mattered. I went to all her school plays. I packed her lunch. I fixed her hair. I helped her with her homework. I put band aids on her cuts after I coerced her to do things I wouldn’t do.

Those were yesteryears…..

Now, I still don’t know what life would be like without my Sissy!

I feel like she’s stopped needing me to watch over her years ago, though I still try. She may not like all my advice, but I know she takes them by stride, and she knows I’m always here to listen (even though sometimes she knows it may warrant me making fun of her). In a few months, she’ll be graduating college, thinking about going to law school, enjoying life as she knows it. She’s grown to this beautiful, funny, and smart woman – but she’ll always be my little sister.




Happy birthday Sissy. I LOVE YOU!

Hugs and kisses,
Ate

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails