Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Dana Point Grand Prix - Part 2: Mike's First Time Trial and another Cat 5 Race

Saturday (early EARLY early) morning was another first for Mike -- his first time trial. Lance Armstrong sure makes it look super easy on ESPN. Most of the course was flat, Mike said, but it was this hill that he dreaded..... I'm sure EVERYONE dreaded.


Killer Cove



View from the top

I stayed in the finish line, so I didn't get any shots of Mike on the hill. We did, later on, go to the top of the hill to watch some of the pros sweat bullets and even they were struggling a little.





Mike's official time was 8:04. I think some kid weighing 40 lbs finished it in like 5 minutes. I don't think I would've made that time if I drove my trusty Elantra! Go figure.......



The next day was his third race, and Mike has gotten considerably better. I must say, as an obvserver, I don't know what it takes to be in one of those races. I would think the aim is to be able to ride as fast as possible, but every time I go to one of these things, my perspective changes. There's the constant need to hang on and not get dropped off from the pack when riders try to attack, taking turns "pulling" at the front of the pace line, respecting other rides turning corners at high speeds, picking tactical spots to try to break away.......

It's really quite something.....

Of course, by Ethan's advice, the ultimate goal is to "Go faster than the rest of them".









This race was only 20 minutes long.. I'm sure it seemed longer for those who were pedaling. The main group eventually broke away, leaving behind a chase group, and Mike ended up in the third group. They managed to get rotations going with their little group, and at least once, I saw Mike whiz through and take his turn to take his pull until his legs couldn't take it anymore, only to realize noone else was ready to take their turn.

2 laps to go and the official decided to pull Mike's group off the course for lack of contention, and I immediately reacted after hearing the whistle. There was a guy standing a few feet from me (who looked like a pro, or at least an experienced rider) who just looked at me and gave an annoying little grin. There were only 2 laps left for Pete's sake. Yes, they were half a lap down, but they weren't in the way of the main pack. They could've at least let them finish.......








Either way, I am impressively proud of Mike. He's set his sights on this sport, and I don't plan on missing a race.



We're proud of you daddy!!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails