Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Muscles, we meet again.

Has it trully been that long? I got pregnant in April of 2005, gave birth in January 2006 and Ethan will be a year old in three days. From the day I found out we were going to have a baby, I renounced any form of exercise with flying colors. So yeah, it really has been that long. No wonder my muscles are screaming for pain... they're being re-introduced to exertion all over again (which I shamingly admit, has been long overdue).

Getting to the gym was half the battle. For months, Mike tried to convince me to "check out" the local YMCA.

Mike: Hey baby, I got us some guest passes to the "Y", we should go sometime.
Me: Are you saying I'm a fat ass and I need to go to the gym?
Mike: Scurries away to avoid confrontation and learns that suggesting a workout after I had just devoured a row of Oreos probably isn't a good idea.

My strategy to elude the notion of putting myself to work worked for a while... until one weekend when I was cleaning out my closet and realized I had to pack away more "skinny" clothes than I anticipated. Normally, I would just brush it off and use it as an excuse to shop for new clothes that "fit"... but instead I felt like a a total cow and exceedingly daft to be trying to fit back into a size 6 jeans and a size small shirt. Who was I kidding? That's when I decided that getting back a normal workout routine probably isn't such a bad idea after all.

So the week after, I went to the "Y" and signed up for the family package. I figured Mike and I could work out together on some days. They have a daycare that we could leave Ethan in for a couple of hours while we worked out... and when his ear gets better, we could all enjoy the family pool. Best part is that it's only about a five-minute drive from our house and they were open much later from when I would get home from work. Sounds easy enough, right? Wrong. Even after I'd already signed us up, armed with little plastic badges and all... I still managed to make excuses. One time, I actually told Mike I couldn't go because I didn't have any work out clothes!

But I did good yesterday... I actually went to a Yoga class with Mike. I'm hoping it would be a regular thing.. we're planning on doing Pilates tonight, and there is a cardio kickboxing class I want to do on Monday nights. I'm still remarkably sore from yesterday. I didn't realize Yoga would have such an impact. Of course, I didn't exactly "take it easy" as a beginner would.. I guess I felt like I had a lot of catching up to do. I know now not to do that... but I guess if it hurts, it must be working, right?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails