Monday, May 10, 2010

I am Truly Blessed

A coworker shared something funny with me on Monday. Her son told her that Mother's Day is just an arbitrary holiday. Something that was cooked up, probably the same people over at Hallmark who supposedly cooked up Sweetest Day, with nothing more than the sole intent of generating sales.

Arbitrary or not..... commercialized even..... I love Mother's Day. My sentiments, of course, have changed since I became a mom myself, but I loved it even before I was blessed to join the club.

Mother's day, to me, is another time when we take stock of how we have been blessed in life.

I am blessed to have a beautiful relationship with my mom, who is always there for me no matter what. She raised me, taught me to be an individual, and made me who I am today. She taught me to be strong, to be brave, to be aggressive with my dreams, to be respectful, to be loving, to be grounded. She has sacrificed so much and have raised three strong-willed children.

My mother-in-law, who's become my second mom and despite having to deal with my crazy antics, have found herself attached to me and treats me like her own and has welcomed me into her family in every way. But because she lives thousands of miles away (she thinks I'm the devil for stealing her son away), I don't get to express my appreciation enough, but I hope she knows that I appreciate everything she's ever done for me and my family.

This weekend, I spent my time spending it with the people I love. It started with a semi-surprise breakfast in bed from Mike and Ethan, and then went shopping then to lunch with my mom, sister and brother (dad had to work). Nothing extravagant, just the company of the people I care most about.



Grrrr... the only pic we got with mom... and she decides to blink!













The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new. ~Rajneesh

The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness. ~Honoré de Balzac

She never quite leaves her children at home, even when she doesn’t take them along. ~Margaret Culkin Banning

When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child. ~Sophia Loren, Women and Beauty

Motherhood has a very humanizing effect. Everything gets reduced to essentials. ~Meryl Streep

Grown don’t mean nothing to a mother. A child is a child. They get bigger, older, but grown? What’s that suppose to mean? In my heart it don’t mean a thing. ~Toni Morrison, Beloved, 1987

A father may turn his back on his child, brothers and sisters may become inveterate enemies, husbands may desert their wives, wives their husbands. But a mother’s love endures through all. ~Washington Irving

There’s nothing like a mama-hug. ~Terri Guillemets

Whatever else is unsure in this stinking dunghill of a world a mother’s love is not. ~James Joyce

It’s not easy being a mother. If it were easy, fathers would do it. ~From the television show The Golden Girls

My mom is literally a part of me. You can’t say that about many people except relatives, and organ donors. ~Carrie Latet

A man’s work is from sun to sun, but a mother’s work is never done. ~Author Unknown

All mothers are working mothers. ~Author Unknown

The phrase “working mother” is redundant. ~Jane Sellman


A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie. ~Tenneva Jordan

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails