Friday, November 25, 2005

What a Girl has to be Thankful For

My family was never notorious for going all out on Thanksgiving [Christmas was more our holiday]. For as long as I can remember, my mom has consistently stayed with the safe option of serving honey baked ham instead of the traditional turkey meal... But we always spent it together as a family, which is the cliche of it all. Or at least, that's what it used to be like. This year though, they continue the nontraditional tradition for the third year in a row with an empty seat and a long distance phone call with a series of "Sorry I couldn't be there". 2 years ago, I was deployed in Bosnia. Last year, Mike and I got in a car accident on the way to my mom's house on Thanksgiving day. And this year.. after a flat tire that sent Mike cursing Thanksgiving as his most hated holiday, my first real east coast snow fall, and nearly six uncomfortable hours driving on the icy road.. we made it to Cleveland to spend Thanksgiving with Mike's family.

Thanks to Mama Mary and Aggie... we all pigged out on some good turkey and stuffing, sweet potatoes, green beans casserole, and pumpkin rolls -- I wasn't very much help in the kitchen this time around. I hate to use my unborn child as an excuse, but I was too engulfed with just trying to stay comfortable that I've probably failed to offer help more than I should've. You can never be too uncomfortable to eat though.. which I did a lot of without an ounce of guilt of holding back. I figured... I've already put on 30 lbs the past 7 months, another 2 lbs of a Thanksgiving meal prepared with love won't be such a stretch.

A few other things I'm thankful for this Thanksgiving:
  • New family, new traditions
  • Family and friends gathering together for food, good company, and a heated game of Phase 10
  • My opinion on pumpkin rolls being OFFICIALLY overturned
  • Having fun listening to the guys beg to switch the channel back to the football game
  • Watching Mike and Matt wrestle on the bed like they were 5 (and making me wish our next kid is a girl)
  • Having a nasty case of the giggles from Uncle Dave's funny comments that I almost peed in my pants from laughing so hard
  • Planning on hosting little Mikey's first Thanksgiving dinner next year
  • Sitting by the fireplace

What I miss about Thanksgiving:

  • Honey baked ham and my mom's dinner rolls
  • Feeding leftovers to the dogs
  • Going to the movies after dinner with my brother and sister, and friends
  • Joining the ranks of crazy shoppers with my mom and sister the day after Thanksgiving
  • Shopping for a Christmas tree that weekend after Thanksgiving
  • My family, old traditions

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails