Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Mission: Potty Training


I always said Mike would have to take the lead in potty training Ethan. I may have grown up in a third world country, and my years in the Army may have trained me to deal with not-so-favorable "potty" conditions... but I know squat about the first thing in teaching someone how to "point and shoot" -- although I understand the cheerio-target-practice might come much later.

We introduced his potty chair about 2 weeks ago. We put it right next to the toilet in the upstairs bathroom, and he knows what it is because he goes and sits on it everytime we say the word "potty". Every time he poops, he points at his butt. He just turned 19 months, but we figured it's probably never too early to introduce him to the concept.

We encourage him to sit on it before his baths and sometimes in the mornings before changing for daycare... he even pretends to flush after he gets up from it. Do we think he's ready? Hardly. I've heard of miraculous "trainers" getting the job done in a week -- someone at work had even suggested me taking a week off to potty train him. Frankly, I think he'll do it when he's ready. Right now, we just take it day by day... even if that song on his potty is super annoying.

At least my boy knows how to wipe! :)


3 comments:

Shana-Lynn said...

Good luck with it. We are working with Aubree too. The first thing she did was grab a ton of TP and start filling the toilet...UGH! I have finally got her down to using one square, isn't that what Sheryl Crow was suggesting? She actually just throws it in and flushes now. I was hoping to avoid needing her own potty chair because I bought the seat that goes on the regular potty, but I am not so sure how well it is working. She did great the first week, but the newness has worn off. Keep us posted on Ethan's progress.

Good luck and sorry about the book I just wrote.

Kimberly said...

Anne, you've been MIA, glad to have you back! We've been doing the same thing with Sophie. She knows how to sit on it and can say "pee pee" but I don't think it has really clicked with her yet. Good luck!

Janice said...

Let me know how it goes because I am havin major issues with Cameron. He will not even sit on the seat that goes on the toilet. At this point, I think Ava will be potty trained before Cameron.

I missed seeing Ethan's pics! That's a cool potty, BTW! Looks exactly like a miniature version of the real thing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails