Thursday, August 02, 2007

Starting them young

According to an article from Sports Illustrated, this is how much a professional athlete makes on average:

Basketball (NBA) -- $5,000,000
Baseball (MLB) -- $2,800,000
Football (NFL) -- $1,750,000
Hockey (NHL) -- $1,500,000
Men's Golf -- $973,495
Women's Tennis -- $345,000
Men's Tennis -- $260,000
Women's Golf -- $162,043

My thoughts:

1. I wish I were 7 feet tall, semi-coordinated, and can dunk for $5 million a season.

2. These are supposedly just based on salaries, and not endorsements -- which makes me hate them even more.

3. Yes, the careers of professional athletes are short. But if you manage your money properly, even 2-3 years in the higher-end sports can set you up for life.

4. I believe some talents can be innate, but most have to be honed from a young age.

Exhibit A:











We're training him young. Kid's got a good eye. Between basketball, baseball, golf, tennis, soccer and football... I say his chances are as good as any.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Ethan amazes me! He can do more at 18 months then my nephew could ever dream about doing at 3! And altough it sickens me the amount of $$ athletes make (esp. people like that scum bag Vick)...I'd definitely be thrilled if Sophie was one the LPGA with a big ole Nike Contract.

TwinMommyLawchick said...

Michael wants to glue a golf club or tennis racket into the kids' hands so they have to hold it at all times and have no choice but to be golfers or tennis players...something about their careers being longer and less chance of injury.

So wehn you see Shark Markins as opposed to Tiger Woods someday, that's my kid. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails